The aim of the English Language major is to equip a bachelor with knowledge regarding English and English-speaking countries’ cultures and societies. Moreover, bachelors are expected to be able to use the language competently at a high level; they should be able to master the specialized knowledge at its basic and advanced degree to apply it to their professional work. Also, they are trained to have modern job skills to meet the requirements of the society and economy in the process of international integration.
Depending on the study mode, learners who accomplish their training program will be granted the distance learning bachelor’s degree or the bachelor’s for those who are studying and working. The degree has legal validity so that its holders are allowed to study master’s degree.
Those who wish to get the bachelor degrees in English Language have to meet either of the two conditions as follows:
- + A high school degree or an equivalent following the regulations of the Ministry of Education and Training is required.
- + A degree of Associate in English Language or a Bachelor’s degree from another major for those who want to have some courses exempted.
The Online Bachelor Degree in the English Language belongs to the national degree system, and the holders of the degrees are allowed to study master’s degree.
Type of Degree
Associated with CareerThe aim of the English Language major is to equip a bachelor with knowledge regarding English and English-speaking countries’ cultures and societies. Moreover, bachelors are expected to be able to use the language competently at a high level; they should be able to master the specialized knowledge at its basic and advanced degree to apply it to their professional work. Also, they are trained to have modern job skills to meet the requirements of society and the economy in the process of international integration.
Praticial curriculumLessons are concisely presented in theory together with practical illustrations relating to English studying. Besides, learners come to class once in a semester on Saturday or Sunday to exchange ideas with English language experts.
Nationally Accredited DegreeThe Online Bachelor’s Degree in the English Language belongs to the national degree system, recognized by the Ministry of Education and Training. By having this degree, learners can study master’s degree.
Flexible ways of learningMore than 90% of the program content is delivered via the internet. Therefore, learners can get access to lessons, learning materials, or exercises anywhere, anytime with a desktop, laptop, or smartphone connected to the internet. Regarding the experiences, students can see the videos directly, download them in PowerPoint form, or offline scripts.
Supportive lecturers and officersTeachers of the courses are in charge of each learner’s learning process. Also, students can exchange ideas with classmates or with their teachers via the school forum or via email. Regarding technical problems, students can contact the school’s consultancy center.
Reasonable TuitionThe average tuition is 520,000/credit and is paid each semester according to the number of courses registered. Students are provided with learning materials and access to free-of-charge learning resources.
The online Bachelor’s Degree in the English Language includes all knowledge equivalent to that of the face-to-face undergraduate program of the same major. However, it is practically oriented towards career. Learners will complete their professional certificates to grab employment opportunities at the earliest time. General knowledge is accumulated at the same time or later, enabling students to broaden their understanding of the context to develop great thinking.
Covering 46 courses with 111 credits (except foreign languages and information technology), the program is normally delivered within 10 semesters. Although learners can slow down or accelerate their study pace, they have to accomplish these courses in the following order:
- Study Skills
- Academic English Certificate
- Advanced Academic English Certificate
- Culture, Literature, English Language Certificate
- English for Business and Office Certificate
- Bachelor’s Degree in English Language
Provide necessary skills to help learners master the process of learning, become proficient in using information technology for learning, and promote personal development and career.
- 1. Study Skills (2)
Students are equipped with the ability to develop their learning and communication skills in the academic environment. Hence, they can study, share academic knowledge and professional knowledge in English. By the end of the course, learners need to take tests that evaluate their English capacity: listening, speaking, reading and writing tests at intermediate academic level.
- 2. American – British Pronunciation (3)
- 3. Grammar (3)
- 4. Listening – Speaking 1 (3)
- 5. Listening – Speaking 2 (3)
- 6. Listening – Speaking 3 (3)
- 7. Reading – Writing 1 (3)
- 8. Reading – Writing 2 (3)
- 9. Reading – Writing 3 (3)
- 10. Test on English Competence (1)
This certificate ensures that learners can use English competently including speaking, listening, reading, and writing skills in academic circumstances at the advanced level. Students are able to:
– Develop listening and reading skills in the academic environment.
– Write reports, summaries, and reviews in academic fields.
– Express themselves adequately and confidently with academic topics.
Upon completion of the certificate, learners need to take tests that evaluate their English at the advanced academic level.
- 11. Listening – Speaking 4 (3)
- 12. Listening – Speaking 5 (3)
- 13. Listening – Speaking 6 (3)
- 14. Reading – Writing 4 (3)
- 15. Test on English Competence -Academic Advanced Level (1)
This certificate ensures the learners’ capacity to get access to language, literature, and culture of English-speaking countries, which serves as a background for the use of English in communication, translation, commerce, and tourism.
Upon completion of the certificate, learners are required to implement a scheme on Culture – English Language, which includes a writing task (about 1,500 words) on either of the two topics: (1) Presenting a well-known destination, a cultural artwork at an English speaking country; or (2) Making a literary criticism of an English / American short story in the required category.
- 18. Phonetics and Phonology (2)
- 19. Morphology and Syntax (2)
- 20. Semantics and Pragmatics (2)
- 21. British- American Culture (3)
- 22. British Literature (2)
- 23. American Literature (2) (elective subject)
- 24. Practical Vietnamese (2)
- 25. Project on British Language Culture (1)
This certificate ensures the learners’ capacity to use practical and standard English in the international business environment including the writing and translating skills of a variety of texts, business letters, e-mails, social communication, telephone conversations, and presentation.
Upon completion of the certificate, learners are required to implement a scheme on English Business, which consists of two parts: (1) Constructing/Translating an article/a study on economics, business, or a contract/commercial document of about 2, 500 words and (2) Constructing and presenting a plan/a business project within 20 minutes.
- 26. Translation 1 (3)
- 27. Translation 1 (3)
- 28. Advanced Translation 1 (3)
- 29. Advanced Interpretation 1 (3)
- 30. Principles of Management (3)
- 31. Public Relations (3)
- 32. Principles of Marketing (3)
- 33. English for Business (3)
- 34. English for Tourism (3)
- 35. Project on English in Commerce (1)
Upon completion of this stage, learners can meet all the graduation requirements of the Bachelor’s Degree Program in English language of Ho Chi Minh City Open University.
- 36. Marxist — Leninist phylosophy (3)
- 37. Marxist — Leninist Political Economics (2)
- 38. Scientific Socialism (2)
- 39. History of Vietnamese communist party (2)
- 40. Ho Chi Minh’s Ideology (2)
- 41. Logic (3)
- 42. Introduction to Law (3)
- 43. Research Methodology (2)
- 44. Office Skills (3)
- 45. English for Employment (2)
- 46. Intercultural Communications (2)
- 47. Seminar in English (1)